Monday, September 6, 2010

The Windy City, Chi-Town, IL

Miles Driven: 37.2 - September 5th, 2010 Joliet, IL to Chicago, IL
Total Miles: 1127
Camping Fees: $0

So much to see and do in Chicago.  First on my list was to travel there by ‘L’ Chicago’s name for the CTA train system, due to the fact it is elevated.  Parking my car in a park and ride parking lot I was driven to the Midway train station where I hopped onto the waiting train.  

Midday 'L' Stop
One of the great things about any train/subway/tube system is the ease of use.  Buy a fare card, head to the correct side of the train tracks, get on, listen to your destination, get off at that stop, and bang, you’re there.  Chi-Towns ’L’ was no different, save one thing.  As the city loomed in the distance, getting closer and closer as the train drew nearer and nearer, one would expect it to vanish before your eyes as you went underground.  Not so on the ’L’.  As the tracks are elevated you get to see the city in all its glory from beginning to end. 

I got off at Quincy and strolled around looking at buildings and architecture until I hit State Street.  I called it Chi-Town’s Georgetown because of all the retail stores.  

Chicago Theatre on State Street
Remembering to look up as I came to buildings was forgetful at times.  Not being used to a skyscraper city.

Chicago Skyscrapers
You had to admire the buildings from a distance as supposed to being right underneath them.  So I headed to Millennium park.  I entered the park via Washington Street.  To the left was Wrigley Square and Millennium Park Monument.
"The monument
Millennium Monument
is a nearly full-size replica of the peristyle which was originally in the same location between 1917 and 1953.  The columns are made from Indiana limestone.  In appreciation of the park‘s founders, their names are etched onto the base. ” 

Looks very similar to Greek columns to me.

Next I strolled over to the AT&T Plaza/Cloud Gate.  Very odd indeed.  I’m calling it the giant bean, well because that’s what it looks like.

“The 110-ton elliptical Cloud Gate sculpture is forged of a seamless series of highly polished stainless steel  “plates”, which reflect the city’s famous skyline and the clouds above”.

If you look very closely at the picture of the “bean” you can see me taking the picture.  Not sure what I think of the sculpture, other than it was the first of Anish Kapoor’s first public outdoor work installed in the US, and oh by the way he is a Brit.

When one is in the Windy City one has to eat like a Chicagoan, meaning deep dish pizza.  I asked a local visitor center employee if she was going to eat one where would she go, Giordano’s.  With directions in hand off I went in search of the authentic deep dish pizza.  I was not disappointed.  I eat the whole thing along with a beer. (Can’t have pizza without having a beer)  It was good, no, it was everything I thought it would be and more.  I’d like to say I savored every mouthful, enjoying each piece of spicy sausage oozing with cheese and marinara sauce, so I won’t, I devoured it.  

Chicago Sky Line

Between two Chicago Buildings
After inhaling my food I was in need of a walk, off to Navy Pier where I sat and enjoyed the breeze off Lake Michigan.  Could not ask for a better day, with temperatures hovering around the high 70’s.  By this time the sun was beginning to set and the breeze off Lake Michigan was getting cooler.  Now I know why it is called the ’Windy City”.  In the summer it is great, but in winter I believe I’d hate it.   So I headed back to the ‘L’ and the warmth of my car.  I drove back into the city to take some shots of the sky line all lit up, as it was on route to my next destination of Madison, WI.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful contrast to the national parks. Getting hungry for pizza!

    k

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a "and now for something completely different" day.

    ReplyDelete