Saturday, September 4, 2010

Indiana, here I come

Miles Driven: September 3rd 366.1 Mammoth Cave Park KY to Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, IN
Total Miles: 1050.6
Camping Fees: $0

Another full day of driving, driving, and driving.  Saw a lot of the countryside, flat as flat can be.  Drove up I64 for half the trip then on local roads.  Drove through the capital, Indianapolis, busy, but easy to navigate.  I have found though, Penelope is much better while driving at faster speeds then she is at slower.  I am on top of a turn before she barks at me to turn.  But never mind, we all have our weaknesses.  My destination is at the top of the state between Gary and Michigan City on Lake Michigan.  I drove through all of the state to get here.  It was dark by the time I arrived and the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore camp ground was full.  This is where Penelope came to the rescue.  The nearest camp site was too far away so I opted to sleep in my car in a Wal-Mart parking lot in La Porte, IN.  There were several other camper vans around the huge lot.

Taking it very easy today.  No long hours of driving.  Heading out to the Dunes.  Will update this post later with pictures.    

No comments:

Post a Comment