Tuesday, September 21, 2010

In and Around the Badlands, SD

Miles Driven: 75 - September 10th The Badlands, SD to Wasta, SD
Total Miles: 2212.3
Camping Fees: $0

Waking up in the morning I felt parts of my sleeping bag where wet, so was my sleeping pads that where under a large blanket covering the entire tent.  The sun was out and it was windy.  Hanging everything up to dry in the camp shelter took awhile.  I threw the blanket over a couple of my car doors and waited for all to dry while I put the kettle on for tea and had breakfast.  Everything dried in about an hour.  The wind is great sometimes.

Drying Out After Heavy Rain Storm Badlands, SD
The Badlands are a place of extremes.  The summer is hot and windy with ever changing temperatures due to the fast rolling storms.  I had to sit in the car for hours while another rain storm rolled in and out.  I   drove to the Ben Reifel Visitor Center to chat with the rangers for the best places to take photographs.  While there I watched the movie and chatted with the rangers to find the best places to see bison (buffalo).  I stopped at almost every view point and took photographs.  Each place had something different to offer. Late in the afternoon I hiked up a rock formation and slide on the wet clay taking a nice rash to my right leg.  

Sun beginning to set I headed to the spot I spied the day before.  I had obviously picked the correct place as there was a professional English couple set up with their cameras too.  We chatted for a while waiting for the sun to go down.  I took about 75 photographs to get the “money shot”.  

Sun Setting Panorama Point Badlands, SD
Needing to leave the Badlands for my next destination I spied the moon raising over the rocks and had to stop and try my hand at getting a quick money shot there too.  You be the judge.

Moon Rising Over Badlands, SD
Nabbing the moon shot I left the Badlands and hit the road for a couple of hours.  I drove until I could not keep my eyes open any longer.  I pulled into a rest stop in Wasta, SD and spent the night in my car. The temperature was 55 degrees when I pulled over.  Wasta is off Interstate 90.  

No comments:

Post a Comment